• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I'm beginning to think what we're seeing is Kumiko learning the ropes to be a music teacher..

I've thought this for a couple episodes now. I've even thought, "Kumiko, you dummy, go to music school and become a music teacher!" I think she'd be very good at it and her time as president of her high school band gives her experience that would prove very helpful.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I think Taki-sensei recognizes Kumiko’s potential, too — though perhaps I’m mistaking genuine general pedagogy (“If you go to Nationals, it will be the result of your own efforts”, “The results of the audition aren’t due entirely the skill and talent of those selected, but how they contribute to the balance of the ensemble”), for showing Kumiko how to think like a teacher.

Sound Euphonium season 9: Reina goes off the deep end with jealousy as teacher-trainee Kumiko returns to Kitauji to train with Taki-sensei. (I thought I heard a bit of jealousy in Reina when she “caught” Kumiko leaving a private conversation with the teacher.)

Also, I cheered along with Hazuki as she passed the audition.
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I think Taki-sensei recognizes Kumiko’s potential, too “The results of the audition aren’t due entirely the skill and talent of those selected, but how they contribute to the balance of the ensemble”, for showing Kumiko how to think like a teacher.

I think you're right. It's like in the movie Miracle when Kurt Russel's character (I don't know the name of the actual coach) said, "I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right players." In any team effort you want those who can contribute the most to the team, such as off setting the team's weakness in one area even if they personally are weak in another area.

And Yea! for Hazuki.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
What? Kumiko and Rena have matching swimsuits? How are they NOT in a relationship! That’s next level yuri bating there!!

Edit: what it looks like they have done is buy different swimsuits and then swapped tops, which is even worse (or better depending on who you ship).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Reina really seemed to be angling for a “date” with Kumiko, there in the train station run-up to the break, and was getting frustrated at Kumiko’s (deliberate?) obtuseness.

Yes, I think they just swapped tops, though Reina did say she’d bought a “matching” swim suit.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Reina really seemed to be angling for a “date” with Kumiko, there in the train station run-up to the break, and was getting frustrated at Kumiko’s (deliberate?) obtuseness.

Yes, I think they just swapped tops, though Reina did say she’d bought a “matching” swim suit.

The pattern matches on the two swimsuits. Also, considering some of the previous ruminations Kumiko has had regarding her bust size they would have had to have swapped bottom not tops which I find more than a little weird!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 12:20 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
dm wrote:

The pattern matches on the two swimsuits. Also, considering some of the previous ruminations Kumiko has had regarding her bust size they would have had to have swapped bottom not tops which I find more than a little weird!

Going back to the movies, in the second movie, Reina and Kumiko have the same swim-suits for that year's obon break. As you note, they swapped bottoms this year.

I went back to the movies to get a bit more insight into Kanade --- in particular, her attempt to "throw" her audition for Natsuki's (a less accomplished senior) benefit.

I suppose it's only natural because of the school setting that we get themes repeated with each new entering class, but gosh, the Kumiko-is-flummoxed-by-thinking-about-her-future and can-a-newcomer-displace-a-senior plot devices are beginning to show their age.

Interestingly, on the future-teacher-Kumiko front, at one point in the second movie Taki-sensei asks Kumiko how she is getting on in her role as shepherd for the first years. She's her noncommittal self, but the scene concludes with Taki-sensei remarking to a colleague that "she's a natural".

Episode 8 spoiler[Kanade leaving her apple juice for the dejected Motomu was cute. It explained her frustration at needling him earlier in the episode.]

That spider web has been a presence in the series for a long time, maybe as far back as the first season.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Mayu was constantly bringing up her doubts in her skill and comparing and them to Kumiko. She was basically saying "Oh well... I was only pretending to be bad! I could beat you if I wanted to but I'm holding back for your sake." Mayu getting the part instead of Kumiko must have really brought down all the confidence she had in her skill. It's only natural that she gets a bit of a reality check, though it's a bit tough for it to happen at this stage.

Now it would be interesting to see what happens between Kumiko and Reina.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I assume there’s another round of auditions before the Big Climax Event, and that Kumiko will knock herself out to be the soloist for that concert.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2