• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
Agreed, though it still feels relatively complete and cohesive, it could have been way worse rushing wise.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 am Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow

Double Seven refers to the feud between two families from the same lab with the character for "seven" in their names. Shippou is upset that, in his opinion, the Seagusa family stole all the work of the entire lab.

"Sawamura Maki" is the bound woman Tatsuya saves from kidnapping.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I figured out her role from the chapter synopses. Although a little confused about her motives. I can see why she was mostly excised. She stirred up tensions that already existed, so she wasn't completely necessary, and it proved a handy way to shorten things. That bit about her being saved could've used an anime explanation though. If an adaptation is to stand on its own, you need info like "her father's media company refused to cooperate in the anti-magician propaganda anymore." That and not bothering to explain the arc title makes me think they are relying on prior knowledge a little too much. I quite like going over "skipped content" stuff, Iwatch videos on Mushoku Tensei weekly, but like Mushoku Tensei, the existing anime version should be adequate to tell the story.
This arc only slightly failed in that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 pm Reply with quote
The "double seven" bit is not explained in the source novels either, or if it was, i missed it. It is one of those things the author apparently though obvious. Someone either above or in the preview guide mentioned it and it does become obvious once you think on it.

The business with Sawamura could have been better explained. She was the one stoking Shippou's anger and paranoia. For your information, Tatsuya wasn't there to rescue her. He doesn't do miscellaneous crime fighting. He was there to blackmail her into leaving Shippou and any other magic school students alone. He notices and destroys the murder attempt as he leaves. Ironically, the attackers were the remnants of the No Head Dragon Syndicate he gutted the previous year.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The previous Nine Schools Competition was chaotic enough with just winning and dealing with criminals trying to rig the whole thing. With this week's episode the upcoming competition seems even more chaotic and dangerous. Trying to test out the parasite gynoids, sabotaging said gynoids to cripple magicians and then there is whatever Seagusa pops is doing.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
You seem to have a good grasp on what is coming smurky. Who needs criminals when one of the Ten Master Clans and the government are willing to mess things up for these kids.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, if I remember correctly then the previous competition had one girl lose her magic due to a surfboard accident. Given that it is easy to imagine dozens of teenage magicians losing their magic, though I never really got an answer if hypnosis or something similar like that can fix the issue.

I am also curious about the Chinese corpse thingy that is giving orders, I assume that it is some kind of communication terminal?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The true enemy of every magician no matter how OP was on display this week, said enemy being a lack of sleep. Everybody is so busy plotting and scheming that poor Tatsuya is working overtime to get all his work done and find out the truth.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
Steeplechase: Back in the bad old days when the English aristocracy used horses and packs of dogs to chase foxes, the fox would frequently lead them way out in the country. At the conclusion of the hunt, some idiot with more energy than good sense would suggest racing back to town. Since the only thing visible of the town would be the church steeple they would race towards or "chase" the steeple (it wasn't running away though). This involved riding at full speed and jumping any fence, wall, hedge, stream or other obstacle in the way. This evolved into a form of horse racing involving a fixed course and a number of obstacles.

In the case of this show it is a military obstacle course on steroids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 34 of 34